Marriage Licenses

Application for Marriage License
Marriage License Copy Request
Covenant Marriage (previously married)
Covenant Marriage (not yet married)

You may contact the Marriage License Department at:

(504) 364-2922 or (504) 364-2923 (West Bank)
(504) 736-6390 (East Bank)
Office hours are 8:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays. 

When obtaining a passport or marriage license, please be at the office no later than 4:15 P.M. in order for us to complete the process by closing time.

***NEW***  Attention, genealogists!  Images for marriage licenses and applications filed prior to 1951 are available via JeffNet, the clerk of court’s remote access service.  Clerk of court personnel are fine-tuning the indices from 1825-1950, a project expected to last until the fourth quarter of 2016.  However, all licenses and applications are indexed and imaged. JeffNet offers a day rate for users who do not require the full monthly subscription. The day rate is $20.00 for a 24 hour access block. Day accounts have full access to all online records and image viewing. Clerk of Court documents can be purchased and downloaded as PDF documents for $.75 per page. Certified copies also are available. The cost for those is $.75 per page plus $5.00 certification cost. The JeffNet 24-Hour account does not provide access to e-filing or e-recording services. Users who wish to utilize e-filing or e-recording privileges must setup a standard JeffNet subscription.  To setup a 24-Hour access account using Visa, MasterCard, or American Express, click here.

Documents Required to Obtain a Marriage License

NOTE: Effective January 1, 2016, these are the requirements for obtaining a marriage license pursuant to Act No. 436 of the 2015 Regular Legislative Session.

1.  Identification Required.  Both applicants must provide a) valid and unexpired driver’s license; OR b) government-issued ID card (DMV ID, passport, government agency ID, public university, etc.); OR c) valid and unexpired passport from country of birth; OR d) unexpired visa with form I-94 issued by the U.S.

2.  Application Form (may be downloaded HERE).  ***IF POSSIBLE, PLEASE PRINT ON LEGAL SIZE PAPER.***  The application must a) be signed by both parties before a notary; OR b) signed by one party before a notary and one party before the deputy clerk of court issuing the license; OR c) signed by both parties before the deputy clerk of court issuing the license.  Military exception:  Individual appearing before the deputy clerk of court attaches to the application a copy of the other applicant’s military ID.

3.  Status of Previous Marriage.  The application form must contain month and date of end of previous marriages (if any).  If either applicant’s previous marriage ended in divorce, a copy of the Judgment of Divorce must be provided.  If either applicant’s previous marriage ended in death of the spouse, a copy of the Certificate of Death must be provided.

4.  Social Security Numbers.  The application form must contain both parties’ social security numbers.  If either applicant does not have a social security number because he/she was born outside of the U.S., applicant must provide a) valid and unexpired passport from country of birth; OR b) unexpired visa with form I-94 issued by the U.S.

5.  Birth Certificates.  Applicants born in the U.S. or one of its territories MUST provide a certified true copy of his/her birth certificate.  Applicants born outside of the U.S. or one of its territories MUST provide a certified true copy of his/her birth certificate AND valid and unexpired passport OR unexpired visa accompanied by Form I-94 from U.S.

If the birth certificate is written in a language other than English, a translation must be provided.  The translation shall contain a sworn declaration of the translator that he is fluent in the language of the original birth certificate and of the translation, and that the translation is a true and accurate representation of the original.

Applicants who were born in the U.S. or one of its territories may obtain a waiver from a judge or justice of the peace IF he/she has obtained a letter signed by the proper registration authority of the state, territory, or country of the place of birth of the applicant, under his raised seal or stamp, that indicates that a thorough search was made and that no birth record was located for the applicant.  Applicants born outside of the U.S. or one of its territories are not eligible for a waiver of the birth certificate requirement.

For information on obtaining a birth certificate issued in the State of Louisiana, visit this web page:

6. Relationship of the Applicants. State law prohibits the marriage of persons who are related by blood or adoption within the fourth degree collateral (example: first cousins and certain aunts or uncles).

7. A medical certificate/blood test is not required.

8. Waiting Period.  A Louisiana marriage license is valid in any parish in Louisiana for a period of 30 days from issuance. There is a 72-hour waiting period between the time of issuance of the license and the ceremony. If there is a need for the ceremony to occur prior to the expiration of the 72-hour waiting period, you may apply for a waiver which must be signed by a district judge or justice of the peace authorized to perform the marriage.

9.  Age Requirement.  Applicants must be 18 years of age to obtain a marriage license without parental consent. If an applicant is under 18 years of age, both parents must appear in person with applicant. If either applicant is under 16 years of age, applicant and parents must appear before a juvenile judge for permission to marry and must present state ID or drivers license before a marriage license can be issued. If one parent has sole custody certified documents must be presented showing sole custody. No temporary orders are acceptable.


The fee for obtaining a marriage license is $27.50.  A certified copy of a marriage license is $10.00 (La. R.S. 13:841).  If a waiver is required, there will be an additional fee of $2.50 per waiver.  Cash, money order, personal checks, or certified or cashiers checks are accepted.  We are planning to provide for payment by credit card or check card in the very near future.  By Louisiana law, the clerk of court transfers $12.50 for each marriage license to the State of Louisiana for programs for the victims of family violence.

General Information

Newlyweds should order a certified copy of their marriage license two weeks after the marriage to insure that the license has been returned and recorded.

Justice of the Peace contact info:  First Justice Court–The Hon. Vernon J. Wilty, III, (504) 364-2760; Second Justice Court–The Hon. Patrick H. DeJean, (504) 349-5407; Third Justice Court–The Hon. Charlie R. Kerner, (504) 689-2208; Fourth Justice Court–The Hon. Leon Bradberry, Jr., (985) 278-1973; Fifth Justice Court–The Hon. Charles V. Cusimano, II, (504) 736-8714; Sixth Justice Court–The Hon. Kevin J. Centanni, (504) 466-7984; Seventh Justice Court–The Hon. Michele P. Holmes, 349-5416; & Eighth Justice Court–The Hon. Roscoe W. Lewis, Sr., (504) 461-0130.

Police escorts for wedding ceremonies may be secured by calling the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office at (504) 465-1480.